Subject: Re: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 14:22:05 +0300

> From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 12:15:11 +0100
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], 
> 	[email-masked]
> 
> > This has the same problem: it modifies a function that is called in
> > too many places.  package-installed-p has half a dozen callers in
> > package.el alone.  The change is tiny, but what about its
> > implications on every use case where it is involved?
> 
> What about them?  I volunteer to help test whichever cases you (or
> anyone else) think may be problematic.

We will never be able to reveal them all, let alone test them, before
Emacs 29.1 is released.

> Can we put this tiny patch on master then?

Yes, if Philip and Stefan don't object.  But, since there will be a
command for updating core packages, doesn't this go against your
desire not to change the UX?

> Maybe there's half a chance for a backport until the Emacs 29.1
> release, or a quarter of a chance that some future Emacs 29.2 will
> also get it.

I don't think there is such a chance, and I'm not sure we even want
that, given that we are leaning towards a new special command.