Subject: Re: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 11:38:35 +0100

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 11:23 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Why do you insist on threats of reverting being the only efficient
> means of communications about these matters?  This is supposed to be a
> collaborative effort, not a confrontation.

Of course.  But we don't agree Eli, and that's a normal part of
working with someone.  No need to use the words "threads" or
"confrontation", or suggest this nasty ill will on my end. No one
is threatening anybody. I was just asking nicely if I can add the
command: you're the head maintainer, you have to make a decision at
some point.

> If we are going to have a special command for upgrading core packages
> (and it currently looks like we are), then having an additional
> Eglot-specific command for a similar purpose would be against our
> common goal of having a UX that changes as little as possible, given
> the restrictions.  What else can I say to express clearly that I would
> like such a command to not be installed?

I wouldn't want it either, but it seems the least bad of all solutions
here.  Package.el is in my honest opinion very inconsistent already.
M-x package-isntall does one thing, package-update does another, then
there's the "package upgrades" in the menu which use yet different
logic.  I am beginning to understand why people are flocking away to
straight.el and elpaca.el.  Given this poor situation, I think that
adding yet _more_ complexity to package.el UX is worse.

But I don't want to stop you from doing that if you really think it's
the correct way.  No confrontation here, Eli.  And in fact, if I'm wrong
and people love `package-update-core-package` and find it consistent,
then `eglot-update` will just fall into oblivion and be forgotten,
and we can deprecate it just like we did `eglot-manual`.  So please,
work with me and give me the benefit of the doubt that this 4-line
helper command in Eglot won't hurt anybody and might actually
help somebody.

João