Subject: Re: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 13:23:40 +0300

> From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 09:51:08 +0100
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], 
> 	[email-masked]
> 
> > > I have to ask (though I can guess the answer): may I add 'eglot-update'
> > > anyway to emacs-29 as a no-brainer shortcut in the meantime?
> >
> > I'd prefer not to have package-specific upgrade commands.  I hope we
> > will soon add to package.el on emacs-29 a new command that will allow
> > users to update core packages, including Eglot, and that will solve
> > the problem for users of Emacs 29 and later, where Eglot is bundled.
> 
> FTR I would also 100% also "prefer not to have package-specific upgrade
> commands" :-) That would be my preference too. But again, I really have
> to ask :-), may I add it or would you revert the commit immediately?

Why do you insist on threats of reverting being the only efficient
means of communications about these matters?  This is supposed to be a
collaborative effort, not a confrontation.

If we are going to have a special command for upgrading core packages
(and it currently looks like we are), then having an additional
Eglot-specific command for a similar purpose would be against our
common goal of having a UX that changes as little as possible, given
the restrictions.  What else can I say to express clearly that I would
like such a command to not be installed?