Subject: bug#62720: 29.0.60; Not easy at all to upgrade :core packages like Eglot

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 10:34:08 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 11/04/2023 14:02, João Távora wrote:
>> Philip Kaludercic<[email-masked]>  writes:
>> 
>>> Will this not affect `package-update-all'?  I don't if we want that the
>>> command installs all packages from ELPA that it can find.
>> Thanks.  I've just tested 'M-x package-update-all' with my patch.  It
>> updates the built-in and the manually installed packages that can be
>> updated.  It_doesn't_  install any packages that weren't installed yet,
>> of course.
>
> On a related note, do you know whether we upgrade the built-in
> packages when the user presses 'U' in the list-packages buffer?
>
> Using the command package-menu-mark-upgrades, that is.

Nope, doesn't work, doesn't do anything to those packages.  I wish it
did, of course.

I also don't understand why this is using separate, but repeated logic
from package-update.  What is the difference between "upgrade" and
"update", if any?  Is "upgrade" more powerful?

BTW, I also noticed that Eglot's version on Emacs 29 is garbled.  I had
wanted 1.12-emacs29 to somehow show that it is Emacs 29 specific.  But
version-to-list doesn't like it and the package shows up as version
"nil" in package--builtins.  Will just change it to 1.12.29, which is
less perceptible but works fine (none of this makes any difference to
this bug, of course).

João