Subject: bug#62677: 30.0.50; Need to find a better name for flyspell-prog-mode

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 13:57:50 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > This mode is geared toward text modes.  In buffers that contain
>> > code, ‘flyspell-prog-mode’ is usually a better choice.
>
> The above is inaccurate as well: text-derived modes for markup text
> can also benefit.  Basically, anything where you have keywords that
> are not necessarily words in a human language.

FWIW, that's actually not been clear to me.  I've only use it in
`prog-mode' derived modes so far.

But perhaps this goes even deeper:

I'm not sure why I can't just enable `flymake-mode' and have it do the
right thing, which IMO would be to enable `flymake-prog-mode' in modes
where it might make sense to have that behavior.  Major modes can tell
us what makes sense themselves, and if there are modes where the
decision is not clear-cut, they could make it into a user option.

Enabling something like `flymake-global-mode' and have it just work
would be pretty neat.