Subject: bug#62677: 30.0.50; Need to find a better name for flyspell-prog-mode

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 15:13:18 +0200

Hello,

`flyspell-prog-mode' is a variant of `flyspell-mode' for editing
programs: it limits spell checking to areas of text fontified with
certain faces (`flyspell-prog-text-faces', normally strings and
comments).  The intention is obviously to skip keywords and tags that
are used by the programming language itself.

However, the name is confusing and undiscoverable: the name suggests
that `flyspell-prog-mode' has a direct relation to `prog-mode' or that
it would be a major mode (like `prog-mode').

`flyspell-prog-mode' seems to be much older than `prog-mode', but since
we have added `prog-mode' the name "flyspell-prog-mode" is kind of a
"false friend".  AFAIU there is no relation between the two names at all
but an etymological one.  In particular it is not necessary for
`flyspell-prog-mode' that the current major mode derives from
`prog-mode'.

In sum the name "flyspell-prog-mode" has become a very bad one.  We
should obsolete it and find a better one.

TIA,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 7, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version
 1.16.0) of 2023-04-04 built on drachen
Repository revision: e1e4974862517ad5df2831508c39179ce178e0ef
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)