Subject: bug#62674: closed (Re: bug#62674: vc-next-action prints error message: "Cannot open load file: No such file or directory, vc-nil)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 21:02:02 +0000

Your bug report

#62674: vc-next-action prints error message: "Cannot open load file: No such file or directory, vc-nil

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
62674: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=62674
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#62674: vc-next-action prints error message: "Cannot open load file: No such file or directory, vc-nil
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 00:01:11 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 29.1

On 11/04/2023 09:18, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 04:53:49 +0300
>> From: Dmitry Gutov<[email-masked]>
>>
>>> vc-next-action prints an error message:
>>> C-x v v yes RET
>>>
>>> Cannot open load file: No such file or directory, vc-nil
>> The patch below seems to fix this particular scenario.
>>
>> I'm not sure we want to expend much effort on supporting CVS this day
>> and age, but if the one-liner change is enough, all the better.
> Thanks.  If this solves the problem, it's okay to install it on the
> emacs-29 branch.

Thank you, done. At least, it fixes things in my testing.

I'm going to close this report now, but Beth, please feel free to get 
back to us regarding the fix if you find it not working for some reason.

Subject: vc-next-action prints error message: "Cannot open load file: No such file or directory, vc-nil
From: Beth Lake <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 22:12:21 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Create a CVS repository in the present working directory:
$ cvs -d "$PWD/cvsroot" init

Create multiple working directories:
$ cvs -d "$PWD/cvsroot" checkout -d dir1 .
$ cvs -d "$PWD/cvsroot" checkout -d dir2 .

Create a file in one of the working directories:
$ touch dir1/file

Check in the file:
C-x v d dir1 RET
SPC m C-x v v C-x v v C-c C-c q

Mark the file in the other working directory:
C-x v d dir2 RET
SPC m

vc-next-action prints an error message:
C-x v v yes RET

Cannot open load file: No such file or directory, vc-nil

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.14)
 of 2020-03-26, modified by Debian built on lcy01-amd64-020
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description:	Linux Mint 20.3

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list... [2 times]

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/26.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/26.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --build
 x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd
 --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/26.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/26.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs-mEZBk7/emacs-26.3+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils elec-pair time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 95000 6218)
 (symbols 48 20386 1)
 (miscs 40 53 118)
 (strings 32 28380 1132)
 (string-bytes 1 745277)
 (vectors 16 13903)
 (vector-slots 8 500870 8850)
 (floats 8 52 65)
 (intervals 56 272 7)
 (buffers 992 12))