Subject: Re: bug#62656: broken guix time-machine + software-heritage

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2023 09:42:38 +0200

Hi!

Simon Tournier <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On mer., 26 avril 2023 at 11:50, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>> swh:1:rev:1984d56b0e437af7be7fa6cf8e1a00e45eb8ffa1.git/
>>> swh:1:rev:1984d56b0e437af7be7fa6cf8e1a00e45eb8ffa1.git/HEAD
>>> swh:1:rev:1984d56b0e437af7be7fa6cf8e1a00e45eb8ffa1.git/branches/
>>> swh:1:rev:1984d56b0e437af7be7fa6cf8e1a00e45eb8ffa1.git/config
>>> swh:1:rev:1984d56b0e437af7be7fa6cf8e1a00e45eb8ffa1.git/description
>
> [...]
>
>
>> I suspect this is an issue at SWH.  I’ll bring it up there.
>
> Aside the potential bug on SWH side, maybe we could ask a flat cooking
> instead of a git-bare cooking.
>
> Considering the size of the Guix repository, it can take hours to cook
> it – remember the test with CRLF ;-) – when most of the time, we need
> only one specific revision.
>
> Somehow, we could tweak ’clone-from-swh’ from (guix git) to use 'flat
> instead of 'git-bare.  However, I am unsure the other tweaks it would
> require since a Git repository is somehow expected.

Yeah, ‘clone-from-swh’ is really cloning, so it needs ‘git-bare’.
Generally, in the case of channels, we need a full clone, not just a
revision.  Various bits of the machinery expect the clone: (guix
describe), (guix channels), and so on.

Ludo’.