Subject: [bug#62643] [PATCH] gnu: rust-1.65: Rename package to rust-next.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 16:05:24 -0400

Hi,

"(" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Simon,
>
> On Mon Apr 3, 2023 at 3:00 PM BST, Simon Tournier wrote:
>> * gnu/packages/rust.scm (rust-next): New exported variable, formerly known as
>> "rust-1.65".
>
> For the reasons I outlined in <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/62064#5>, we can't
> just export RUST-1.65 as RUST-NEXT, unfortunately...

Agreed.  If there is a need for newer public rust version, please go
through the maintainers' note above the 'rust' variable:

;;; Note: Only the latest versions of Rust are supported and tested.  The
;;; intermediate rusts are built for bootstrapping purposes and should not
;;; be relied upon.  This is to ease maintenance and reduce the time
;;; required to build the full Rust bootstrap chain.
;;;
;;; Here we take the latest included Rust, make it public, and re-enable tests
;;; and extra components such as rustfmt.

Usually the whole collection keeps building with the latest rust version
as it's backward compatible, I think, so it's not as much work as it may
look like.

OK to close?

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim