Subject: [bug#62635] Ping

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 17:25:08 +0200

Am Dienstag, dem 16.05.2023 um 01:10 -0400 schrieb Juliana Sims:
> Hi,
> Le mar, mai 16 2023 at 06:19:13 +0200, Liliana Marie Prikler 
> <[email-masked]> a écrit :
> > > It is true that Geary, like Evolution, needs a running Evolution
> > > Data
> > Server to function correctly.  However, this dependency is most
> > often met by adding evolution-data-server to the operating-system
> > packages, as not doing so causes other evolution-data-server-
> > related issues IIRC.
> 
> It's probably beyond the scope of this current patch set, but is this
> something that should be communicated to users somehow? I would never
> have figured out about evolution-data-server if my friend hadn't 
> recognized the error message. (There are similar situations where
> other packages require some non-dependency package to work/use all 
> functionality, so the solution to this would ideally be bigger than 
> just Geary and thus out of scope.)
The bigger picture here are services: combinations of packages and
configuration to ensure that "everything" functions as intended.

> > It makes a difference for cross-builds, so you would have to check
> > those.
> 
> Apparently librsvg is in the dependency graph for Geary, which is a 
> Rust library, meaning cross builds are not currently an option. So in
> addition to removing the commit adding evolution-data-server as an 
> input, I've added another commit removing the redundant native-input 
> packages; feel free to simply drop the patch if the patch set looks 
> good otherwise and this is deemed a frivolous or unnecessary change.
> I  know dropping these native-inputs doesn't cause any issues because
> I'm sending this email using the very Geary package I am about to
> submit patches for :D
LGTM, just running some checks and afterwards scheduling for push on
Sunday.

Cheers