Subject: [bug#62635] Ping

From: Juliana Sims <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 01:10:30 -0400

Hi,
Le mar, mai 16 2023 at 06:19:13 +0200, Liliana Marie Prikler 
<[email-masked]> a écrit :
>> It is true that Geary, like Evolution, needs a running Evolution Data
> Server to function correctly.  However, this dependency is most often
> met by adding evolution-data-server to the operating-system packages,
> as not doing so causes other evolution-data-server-related issues 
> IIRC.

It's probably beyond the scope of this current patch set, but is this 
something that should be communicated to users somehow? I would never 
have figured out about evolution-data-server if my friend hadn't 
recognized the error message. (There are similar situations where other 
packages require some non-dependency package to work/use all 
functionality, so the solution to this would ideally be bigger than 
just Geary and thus out of scope.)

>> It makes a difference for cross-builds, so you would have to check
> those.

Apparently librsvg is in the dependency graph for Geary, which is a 
Rust library, meaning cross builds are not currently an option. So in 
addition to removing the commit adding evolution-data-server as an 
input, I've added another commit removing the redundant native-input 
packages; feel free to simply drop the patch if the patch set looks 
good otherwise and this is deemed a frivolous or unnecessary change. I 
know dropping these native-inputs doesn't cause any issues because I'm 
sending this email using the very Geary package I am about to submit 
patches for :D

Anyway, patches incoming!

Thanks,
Juli