Subject: Re: Ping

From: Juliana Sims <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 21:36:37 -0400

Hello,

> I still don't understand what exactly we gain or lose from adding
> evolution-data-server as an input.  Have you looked into that?

When I submitted the initial patch series, Geary was failing to launch 
despite building successfully and being run under a GNOME environment. 
Adding evolution-data-server to the profile solved the issue, and given 
the lack of indication in the error message that that would resolve the 
problem, I thought it would be helpful to add as an input.

However. In attempting to reproduce this problem just now by running a 
version of Geary without evolution-data-server as an input or in the 
profile, it appears this problem... No longer exists? Which is a bit 
bizarre... Regardless, I'm happy to remove evolution-data-server as an 
input.

While I'm here, I've noticed there are some inputs in both 
native-inputs and inputs; namely, glib, gsettings-desktop-schemas, and 
gmime. Do you happen to know if these are likely to actually be 
required in both sets of inputs? Removing glib and 
gsettings-desktop-schemas from inputs seems not to cause issues - the 
program builds and launches fine - but this may simply be because I'm 
on GNOME; because these are dependencies of dependencies and thus 
exposed in the environment of the package; or it may be that this would 
cause issues in specific functionality that isn't tested in the tests 
that are run and isn't invoked except in specific situations. I'm not 
experienced enough with GNOME applications to know; I mostly just 
wanted to be able to read and write my email and my preferred 
application for doing so had stopped working XD If you happen to know 
if they can be safely removed from one or the other set of inputs, I 
would like to minimize the set of inputs; if you don't happen to know, 
I'll just leave it alone.

Thanks for asking more about evolution-data-server. I don't know why it 
was required before, but it's good to know it's not now; I'll go ahead 
and remove the commit adding it from my local branch and send up a new 
patch set when you get back to me.

- Juli