Subject: 27.1; Emacs is unable to open some jar files

From: Steinar Bang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 00:04:56 +0200

When opening some .jar files that I have created with maven-jar-plugin
3.2.0, instead of opening the directory listing of the .jar file, the
following error message is written to the minibuffer:

Args out of range: #<buffer modelstore.services-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT-javadoc.jar>, 329454, 329458

and then the file is opened in a buffer showing the binary contents of
the file

I've edebug'd opening one of these jar files

The archive-zip-summarize function looks for the magic sequence
"PK\005\006" or "PK\006\007" or "PK\006\006" or "PK\001\002".

But what the problem jar file starts with, is "PK^c^d", which I think is
"PK\003\004", which is none of the above.

I.e. archive-zip-summarize doesn't recognize the magic number of these
jar files.

A problem jar file is attached.

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2023-02-23, modified by Debian built on x86-conova-01
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Recent messages:
Break
Result: 322388 (#o1165524, #x4eb54)
find-function-library: let is a built-in function
Breakpoint set in archive-zip-summarize
Go...
Args out of range: #<buffer modelstore.services-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT-javadoc.jar>, 329454, 329458
Mark set
Mark saved where search started
Mark set [4 times]
Making completion list...

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --build
 x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd
 --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --with-cairo
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs-Yfydrl/emacs-27.1+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD
JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  editorconfig-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-demon hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-demon
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-start hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-start
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-notifications hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-notifications
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-spec hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-spec
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnnil hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnnil
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mm-view hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mm-view
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/smiley hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/smiley
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-win hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-win
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-dired hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-dired
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mm-util hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mm-util
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mm-uu hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mm-uu
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-gravatar hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-gravatar
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-diary hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-diary
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/canlock hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/canlock
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nndraft hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nndraft
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnmail hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnmail
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnregistry hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnregistry
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mm-decode hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mm-decode
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/spam-wash hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/spam-wash
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-fun hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-fun
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-delay hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-delay
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnheader hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnheader
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-draft hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-draft
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnagent hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnagent
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mm-encode hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mm-encode
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnir hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnir
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mml-smime hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mml-smime
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnrss hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnrss
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nndoc hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nndoc
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mm-url hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mm-url
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gmm-utils hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gmm-utils
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-rfc1843 hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-rfc1843
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnweb hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnweb
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnbabyl hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnbabyl
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-mh hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-mh
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnspool hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnspool
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnimap hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnimap
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-cite hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-cite
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mm-extern hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mm-extern
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-logic hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-logic
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-uu hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-uu
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnmbox hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnmbox
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mail-source hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mail-source
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mml2015 hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mml2015
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/smime hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/smime
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnml hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnml
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/spam-stat hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/spam-stat
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-group hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-group
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/legacy-gnus-agent hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/legacy-gnus-agent
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mm-partial hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mm-partial
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnvirtual hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnvirtual
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nntp hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nntp
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-registry hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-registry
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-score hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-score
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-salt hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-salt
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nngateway hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nngateway
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnoo hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnoo
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-html hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-html
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nneething hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nneething
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gssapi hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gssapi
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-undo hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-undo
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mm-bodies hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mm-bodies
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-picon hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-picon
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-srvr hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-srvr
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-bcklg hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-bcklg
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-dup hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-dup
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-range hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-range
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mml hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mml
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnmh hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnmh
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-cache hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-cache
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-sum hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-sum
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-ml hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-ml
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/score-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/score-mode
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-kill hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-kill
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-cloud hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-cloud
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-async hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-async
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-topic hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-topic
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnfolder hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnfolder
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mm-archive hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mm-archive
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nndir hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nndir
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnmaildir hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnmaildir
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-vm hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-vm
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-util hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-util
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-bookmark hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-bookmark
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-eform hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-eform
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-art hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-art
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mml1991 hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mml1991
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/deuglify hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/deuglify
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/spam hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/spam
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mml-sec hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mml-sec
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-sieve hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-sieve
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-cus hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-cus
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-int hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-int
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnmairix hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnmairix
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-icalendar hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-icalendar
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/message hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/message
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nndiary hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nndiary
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-mlspl hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-mlspl
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-agent hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-agent
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-msg hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-msg
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/spam-report hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/spam-report
/home/sb/apps/share/emacs/site-lisp/icalendar hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/calendar/icalendar

Features:
(shadow sort bbdb-message bbdb bbdb-site mail-extr emacsbug sendmail
misearch multi-isearch help-fns radix-tree cl-print arc-mode
archive-mode vc-git diff-mode rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml
rng-valid nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode ido edebug backtrace
cl-extra help-mode warnings editorconfig-core editorconfig-core-handle
editorconfig-fnmatch ox-md nnir gnus-sum shr svg dom gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7
parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
wid-edit nnoo nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search mail-utils nxml-psgml-compatibility editorconfig
projectile lisp-mnt grep compile ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs
thingatpt generic-x filladapt diary-lib diary-loaddefs time iso-transl
jka-compr netrc org2blog edmacro kmacro ox-wp ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns
nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html table ox-ascii
ox-publish ox org-element avl-tree generator org-install org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color org-list org-faces
org-entities time-date noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec advice find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
metaweblog xml-rpc timezone url-http url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history mailcap url-auth mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-gw nsm rmc puny xml hydra ring lv htmlize multi-scratch
finder-inf rx org2blog-autoloads info package easymenu browse-url
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 283377 46103)
 (symbols 48 27450 1)
 (strings 32 100117 5128)
 (string-bytes 1 3259440)
 (vectors 16 48800)
 (vector-slots 8 714123 45550)
 (floats 8 239 160)
 (intervals 56 1459 0)
 (buffers 1000 24))