Subject: bug#62630: closed (Re: bug#62630: 27.1; Emacs is unable to open some jar files)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 18:12:02 +0000

Your bug report

#62630: 27.1; Emacs is unable to open some jar files

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
62630: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=62630
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#62630: 27.1; Emacs is unable to open some jar files
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Steinar Bang <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 21:11:36 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Steinar Bang <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 20:07:43 +0200
> 
> >>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>:
> 
> > Yes, see my other message in this discussion.
> 
> > I guess we can now close this bug, as there's no Emacs bug here?
> 
> Yes, there is no emacs bug, so this bug can be closed.
> 
> I have added yours and Andreas' comments to the editorconfig-emacs issue I opened:
>  https://github.com/editorconfig/editorconfig-emacs/issues/294#issuecomment-1494756030

Thanks, closing.

Subject: 27.1; Emacs is unable to open some jar files
From: Steinar Bang <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 00:04:56 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When opening some .jar files that I have created with maven-jar-plugin
3.2.0, instead of opening the directory listing of the .jar file, the
following error message is written to the minibuffer:

Args out of range: #<buffer modelstore.services-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT-javadoc.jar>, 329454, 329458

and then the file is opened in a buffer showing the binary contents of
the file

I've edebug'd opening one of these jar files

The archive-zip-summarize function looks for the magic sequence
"PK\005\006" or "PK\006\007" or "PK\006\006" or "PK\001\002".

But what the problem jar file starts with, is "PK^c^d", which I think is
"PK\003\004", which is none of the above.

I.e. archive-zip-summarize doesn't recognize the magic number of these
jar files.

A problem jar file is attached.

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2023-02-23, modified by Debian built on x86-conova-01
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Recent messages:
Break
Result: 322388 (#o1165524, #x4eb54)
find-function-library: let is a built-in function
Breakpoint set in archive-zip-summarize
Go...
Args out of range: #<buffer modelstore.services-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT-javadoc.jar>, 329454, 329458
Mark set
Mark saved where search started
Mark set [4 times]
Making completion list...

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --build
 x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd
 --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --with-cairo
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs-Yfydrl/emacs-27.1+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD
JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  editorconfig-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-demon hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-demon
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-start hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-start
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-notifications hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-notifications
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-spec hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-spec
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnnil hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnnil
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mm-view hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mm-view
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/smiley hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/smiley
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-win hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-win
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-dired hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-dired
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mm-util hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mm-util
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mm-uu hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mm-uu
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-gravatar hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-gravatar
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-diary hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-diary
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/canlock hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/canlock
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nndraft hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nndraft
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnmail hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnmail
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnregistry hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnregistry
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mm-decode hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mm-decode
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/spam-wash hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/spam-wash
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-fun hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-fun
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-delay hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-delay
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnheader hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnheader
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-draft hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-draft
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnagent hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnagent
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mm-encode hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mm-encode
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnir hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnir
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mml-smime hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mml-smime
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnrss hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnrss
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nndoc hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nndoc
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mm-url hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mm-url
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gmm-utils hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gmm-utils
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-rfc1843 hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-rfc1843
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnweb hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnweb
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnbabyl hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnbabyl
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-mh hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-mh
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnspool hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnspool
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnimap hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnimap
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-cite hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-cite
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mm-extern hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mm-extern
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-logic hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-logic
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-uu hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-uu
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnmbox hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnmbox
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mail-source hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mail-source
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mml2015 hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mml2015
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/smime hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/smime
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnml hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnml
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/spam-stat hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/spam-stat
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-group hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-group
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/legacy-gnus-agent hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/legacy-gnus-agent
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mm-partial hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mm-partial
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnvirtual hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnvirtual
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nntp hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nntp
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-registry hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-registry
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-score hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-score
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-salt hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-salt
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nngateway hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nngateway
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnoo hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnoo
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-html hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-html
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nneething hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nneething
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gssapi hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gssapi
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-undo hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-undo
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mm-bodies hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mm-bodies
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-picon hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-picon
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-srvr hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-srvr
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-bcklg hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-bcklg
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-dup hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-dup
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-range hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-range
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mml hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mml
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnmh hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnmh
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-cache hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-cache
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-sum hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-sum
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-ml hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-ml
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/score-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/score-mode
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-kill hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-kill
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-cloud hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-cloud
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-async hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-async
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-topic hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-topic
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnfolder hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnfolder
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mm-archive hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mm-archive
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nndir hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nndir
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnmaildir hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnmaildir
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-vm hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-vm
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-util hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-util
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-bookmark hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-bookmark
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-eform hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-eform
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-art hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-art
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mml1991 hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mml1991
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/deuglify hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/deuglify
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/spam hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/spam
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/mml-sec hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/mml-sec
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-sieve hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-sieve
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-cus hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-cus
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-int hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-int
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnmairix hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nnmairix
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-icalendar hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-icalendar
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/message hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/message
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/nndiary hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/nndiary
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-mlspl hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-mlspl
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-agent hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-agent
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-msg hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus-msg
/home/sb/git/emacs/lisp/gnus/spam-report hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/spam-report
/home/sb/apps/share/emacs/site-lisp/icalendar hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/calendar/icalendar

Features:
(shadow sort bbdb-message bbdb bbdb-site mail-extr emacsbug sendmail
misearch multi-isearch help-fns radix-tree cl-print arc-mode
archive-mode vc-git diff-mode rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml
rng-valid nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode ido edebug backtrace
cl-extra help-mode warnings editorconfig-core editorconfig-core-handle
editorconfig-fnmatch ox-md nnir gnus-sum shr svg dom gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7
parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
wid-edit nnoo nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search mail-utils nxml-psgml-compatibility editorconfig
projectile lisp-mnt grep compile ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs
thingatpt generic-x filladapt diary-lib diary-loaddefs time iso-transl
jka-compr netrc org2blog edmacro kmacro ox-wp ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns
nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html table ox-ascii
ox-publish ox org-element avl-tree generator org-install org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color org-list org-faces
org-entities time-date noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol org-keys org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec advice find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
metaweblog xml-rpc timezone url-http url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history mailcap url-auth mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-gw nsm rmc puny xml hydra ring lv htmlize multi-scratch
finder-inf rx org2blog-autoloads info package easymenu browse-url
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 283377 46103)
 (symbols 48 27450 1)
 (strings 32 100117 5128)
 (string-bytes 1 3259440)
 (vectors 16 48800)
 (vector-slots 8 714123 45550)
 (floats 8 239 160)
 (intervals 56 1459 0)
 (buffers 1000 24))