Subject: bug#62630: 27.1; Emacs is unable to open some jar files

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 15:43:04 +0300

> From: Steinar Bang <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 07:18:42 +0200
> 
> >>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>:
> 
> > I cannot reproduce this, neither with Emacs 27.1 nor with what will be
> > soon Emacs 29.1.  I wonder why this happens on your system.
> 
> Here is the complete stack trace I get when hitting this problem:
>  https://gist.github.com/steinarb/234cf172c214b26b33ee92a4e5b5afd1

Note this part:

  revert-buffer-with-coding-system(utf-8-unix)
  editorconfig-set-coding-system-revert("lf" "utf-8")
  editorconfig-apply()
  editorconfig-mode-apply()
  run-hooks(change-major-mode-after-body-hook after-change-major-mode-hook)

This is probably the root cause: that editorconfig package forced
Emacs to visit the archive using UTF-8 encoding, which is a bad idea,
since ZIP archives must be visited without any coding conversions, as
raw bytes.