Subject: bug#62630: 27.1; Emacs is unable to open some jar files

From: Steinar Bang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 07:51:14 +0200

>>>>> Steinar Bang <[email-masked]>:
>>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>:

>>> When opening some .jar files that I have created with maven-jar-plugin
>>> 3.2.0, instead of opening the directory listing of the .jar file, the
>>> following error message is written to the minibuffer:

>>> Args out of range: #<buffer modelstore.services-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT-javadoc.jar>, 329454, 329458

>>> and then the file is opened in a buffer showing the binary contents of
>>> the file

>> I cannot reproduce this, neither with Emacs 27.1 nor with what will be
>> soon Emacs 29.1.  I wonder why this happens on your system.

Could it be something in my config?  I will investigate this next.

> Here is the complete stack trace I get when hitting this problem:
>  https://gist.github.com/steinarb/234cf172c214b26b33ee92a4e5b5afd1

Here is a screenshot after opening some failing files:
 https://www.bang.priv.no/screenshots/Screenshot%20at%202023-04-03%2007-27-13.png

The top half is the main jar file of the maven project.  It gives no
error message but opens empty.  The same thing happens with the
-sources.jar file in the same directory.

The bottom half is the -javadoc.jar, which is the file that gives the
stacktrace in the git when opening.

Putting the cursor at the end of the -javadoc.jar buffer and pressing
'C-x =' reports: point=322410 of 322409 (EOB) column=1105

329454 seems to be way beyond 322409?

The behaviour is identical on a different debian 11.6 "bullseye"
computer with the same emacs 27.1 version.