Subject: Re: bug#62621: 29.0.60; uniquify can't make buffers unique based on things other than filename

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 09:56:55 +0300

>> Incidentally, another feature which I've been thinking about at the
>> intersection of project.el and uniquify.el: We could rerun uniquify on
>> project-buffers in a mode where it just outputs sufficiently unique
>> names without actually renaming the buffers, and then use that in
>> project-switch-to-buffer.  So then when picking the buffer, you are
>> picking from buffer names which are unique *in that specific project*.
>> It's otherwise kind of annoying to me that project-switch-to-buffer
>> includes a bunch of long disambiguating paths in the buffer names even
>> though the buffer names aren't actually ambiguous in that command.
>> Does that sound interesting?  I, like you, usually use C-x b.  But I
>> think this feature would make C-x p b much nicer and competitive with
>> C-x b.
>
> That does sound interesting! And actually, when initially reading a message
> from this thread, I thought it was about something like that.
>
> It could be implemented by altering the buffers' completion table,
> I suppose. But I'm not sure how much of uniquify's code could be reused
> there. Or the performance characteristics of re-running uniquification
> every time a buffer name is read.

It could be implemented the same way as project--read-file-cpd-relative
removes common-parent-directory from absolute filenames.