Subject: Re: bug#62621: 29.0.60; uniquify can't make buffers unique based on things other than filename

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 03:19:54 +0300

On 14/07/2023 22:15, [email-masked] wrote:
>>>> how is this different from using symbols?
>>> I can't contrast that to "using symbols" because I just don't understand
>>> what you mean by "using symbols".
>> It means the defcustom's value is a symbol, like 'numbered or
>> 'append-directory, not a function.
> Yes.  But how would you implement it so that setting the defcustom to
> 'project causes the project-uniquify-dirname-transform logic to be used
> by uniquify.el, without mentioning project-uniquify-dirname-transform or
> other project functions in uniquify.el?

Yeah, that sounds odd to me too. If we allow symbolic values in a 
defcustom, somewhere in the same package there has to be a mapping 
between the symbols and the functions corresponding to them. Which would 
have to refer to a function from project.el in this case.

Of course, we could alternatively have some sort of registry for 
third-party code to jack into upon loading or etc, but that sounds like 
a massive overkill for this case.