Subject: Re: bug#62606: [PATCH] function to align mode-line elements to right

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:27:46 +0200

> From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 10:20:46 +0000
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> On Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 10:12 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > Thanks, but I don't want to expose the tail of the mode-line to Lisp,
> > let alone do it on every iteration through mode-line-format.
> 
> Why?

Because I have more than enough gray hair from debugging and fixing
problems related to this stuff, including the
mode-line-format-right-align itself and the issues it causes.  I was
(mildly) against installing this feature, for the same reason, and I
certainly won't agree to let this particular tail to wag the dog any
more than it already has.  It's bad enough to have a non-trivial
display feature that is not maintained by anyone; adding more features
to it is really too much.