Subject: Re: bug#62606: [PATCH] function to align mode-line elements to right

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:12:09 +0200

unarchive 62606
thanks

> From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 08:49:21 +0000
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > FWIW, I don't want to complicate xdisp.c on behalf of this obscure
> > option.  If it can be fixed in Lisp, I won't object, but otherwise I'm
> > inclined to document the above as the limitation of the option, and
> > move on.
> 
> Won't be fixed in Lisp without redesigning the API.

Then it probably will stay as a limitation.

> Option is new but it is not "obscure".  Fancy side-aligning mode-lines
> are are all the rage.  I have to admit for pretty good reason, even I
> use this kind of mode-line now.
> 
> Anyway, here's a patch fixing it.  It's 1 LOC in display_mode_element
> and a new variable. mode-line-format-right-align is simplified and
> possibly even slightly sped up.

Thanks, but I don't want to expose the tail of the mode-line to Lisp,
let alone do it on every iteration through mode-line-format.  If this
is the only reasonable way of lifting the restriction, it will remain
to be a restriction of this optional behavior.

Sorry.