Subject: [bug#62554] [PATCH] gnu: Add book-r5rs.

From: Antero Mejr <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 01:30:55 +0000

宋文武 <[email-masked]> writes:

>> This patch is for the R5RS spec document, in PDF and Info formats.
>> Not sure what conventions would work best, but here I used:
>> 1. package definitions for books/documents go into the file
>>    "book-[type].scm".
>> 2. package definition names are formatted "book-[shortname]".
>
> Good idea, I'll rename 'faif' to 'book-faif' later.

Do you think it would be a good idea to install the files to
/share/doc/[shortname]/, or just /share/doc/? I used the first one to
avoid cluttering /share/doc/, or maybe for organization purposes if a
book is split into multiple files. But I can update this patch to use
/share/doc/ if you disagree.

>> I would be interested to hear what others think about books in Guix.
>> Would we want to limit to technical books? What about translations?
>> Has this already been proposed somewhere?
>
> I don't know any former proposed/discussion.  Well I'd like to also
> include translations, eg:
>
> https://github.com/lifanxi/free-as-in-freedom-zh-cn
> https://github.com/beijinglug/fsfs-zh

Sounds good to me.

> For non-technical books, maybe math books? eg:
>
> https://discrete.openmathbooks.org/dmoi3.html
>
> I'm not sure though, due to lack of confidence to make a judge...

I would definitely want math books. I would be OK with any non-fiction
work so long as it can be typeset from source and is freely licensed,
but then there might be a lot of book packages.