Subject: Re: bug#62549: [PATCH] gnu: home: Add home-emacs-service-type.

From: "(" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2023 12:42:38 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Sat Apr 1, 2023 at 5:56 PM BST, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Could you check out David Wilson’s proposal?
>
>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/60753

I've looked at that before, yeah.

> There were good ideas and interesting discussions there; it would be
> nice to take the best of each proposal.  We desperately need this
> service!  :-)

Here's my take:

- That proposal doesn't seem to include a Shepherd service, so we could definitely
  take that from mine.
- I like David's version's LOAD-PATH field; I'd include that, too.
- I don't think we should try to generate Emacs Lisp code from Scheme s-expressions;
  personally I find that unclean since there isn't a one-to-one correspondence.
- I'm actually not really sure whether it's worth doing the whole thing with the
  Emacs package profile.  It's definitely neat, but would it be better to simply
  add the (transformed) packages to the HOME-PROFILE-SERVICE-TYPE extension?

    -- (