Subject: Re: bug#6253: Please resize mini-buffer for queries even if resize-mini-windows is nil

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 15:49:52 +0200

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Stefan Monnier
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Otherwise you just see the last line of a multiple line query prompt.
>
> Hmm... IIUC when the user sets resize-mini-windows to nil, that's
> because she doesn't want this resizing.
> And multiline prompts are a problem (in cases where resizing is simply
> impossible, for example) in any case.  So I think the right thing to do
> is to report the "multiline prompts" as bugs.

I think what the user normally want is to avoid messages that resizes
the miniwindow. I guess most users want to see the whole multiline
prompt.

Why not distinguish between those cases? Maybe a new value for
resize-mini-windows.

With regards to multiline prompts please remember that a "short"
prompt may wrap because it includes something that is long. That could
for example be the case when the prompt includes a file path. So
beeing able to always resize the mini window is useful whatever we do.