Subject: bug#62513: network-manager updated to unstable version?

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 08:42:11 -0400

Hi John,

John Kehayias <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Guix,
>
> (cc'ing Maxim as author of last few network-manager version updates.)
>
> I noticed a recent up date to network-manager to 1.43.4 (previously
> 1.41.2 and 1.40.0) but can't find a record of that release. In their
> docs there is no mention of anything newer than the 1.42 release [0,
> 1] and they mention the even-numbered releases being the stable series
> [2]. Indeed, Arch only has 1.42.4 in their repos [3]. I only see "dev"
> tags for these 1.43 versions in their gitlab.
>
> Should we be on a 1.42.y version instead?

The GNOME versioning scheme is a bit of a mess; they stopped using
stable/unstable oven/odd release cycles since GNOME 40 I think, but left
each of the components the luxury to keep using it, which NetworkManager
appears to be doing.

'guix refresh -u' picked 1.43 and I didn't give it much of an thought.
In general, I think it's OK to carry the "unstable" releases of GNOME
components, which in my experience are usually stable :-).

> I noticed this because the update to 1.43.4 has an issue with my
> (wired) connection not resuming from sleep when previously it did. I
> have to restart the service. I had some logs I can dig up, but in
> discussing on IRC (no logs that day it seems) there was nothing out of
> the ordinary and the shepherd service seemed normal.
>
> I've since reconfigured to a commit before the most recent version
> change, namely 5174820753be045ba4fc7cc93da33f4e0b730bc3 and cannot
> reproduce the issue so seems due to newer versions of network-manager
> after 1.41.2 at least.
>
> Note that this may have been reported upstream [4], but I haven't
> tested with the current stable release. So this may be a separate
> (upstream) issue.

So it seems that even if we used the "stable" 1.42.x release, we'd still
have this problem.  It's been reported 4 days ago; I guess let's wait to
see if a hotfix will be made, as that seems a serious issue.

Otherwise, if many Guix users are affected and no hotfix is on the
horizon, we could consider reverting back to our older version.

Does that sound reasonable?

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim