Subject: Re: bug#62509: 30.0.50; Changes to naming for Windows stapshots - PATCH

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 09:11:09 -0700

On 9/13/2023 6:06 AM, Corwin Brust wrote:
> That's helpful.  I was under the impression we published snapshots for
> developers and didn't typically direct users to use them at all
> (except for pre-release snaps and special circumstances such as
> recently when glibc got several potentially breaking changes.

Well, I think this would mainly be useful for the more-enthusiastic 
users who want to try out new things or are impatiently waiting for some 
bugfix only on the dev version. I'm not sure whether the actual Emacs 
maintainers would direct users to the snapshots, but third-party package 
authors might.

> I'm still puzzled as to why we should exclude the time component.
> Wouldn't that be rather more useful than including the date alone for
> those looking to see what revision is that last included (but doing so
> without referencing git logs)?

Including the time is fine too. I'm not sure how much value there is in 
that (personally, I'd only ever use the date for an approximate value of 
"how new is this"), but it doesn't cause any harm.