Subject: bug#62509: 30.0.50; Changes to naming for Windows stapshots - PATCH

From: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 17:29:54 -0500

Today I put an initial set of Emacs 30 "snapshot" binaries for Windows
on GNU alpha.  In the process, I created a new folder for emacs-30[0].
At the moment, this folder is without the customary README.

I've attached a patch that suggests changes based on how I name the
snapshots, locally, when building them.  All of this is totally open
to discussion :)

Previously snapshot builds included a (rather nebulous) date, e.g.:
  emacs-30-YYYY-MM-DD-no-deps.zip.

Locally, my snapshots, instead of any date, include the git revision
short-code effective in the source tree where the build is taking
place, e.g.:
  emacs-30-28a9438169f-no-deps.zip

TIA for sharing your thoughts; I can easily rename files, including
those already posted if necessary.

Background:

The file admin/nt/dist-build/README-windows-binaries is usually placed
at the root of each new folder that will contain windows binaries, for
example the "emacs-30" folder for snapshot (and eventually pre-release)
builds from (as currently called) "master".

The attached patch updates this file to reflect a change in how I've
been naming snapshot binaries, locally.

Snapshot binaries are in-tree source builds, rather than being made
from a release --or prerelease-- tarball.

[0] https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/emacs-30

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2023-03-27 built
 on AVALON
Repository revision: 0bd2bbc0c2cb06cd254bf67f75d284f4c16f45a8
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19043
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (v10.0.2009.19043.2364)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation
 --without-compress-install --with-tree-sitter CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win
w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 80396 28348)
 (symbols 48 7205 0)
 (strings 32 21339 1787)
 (string-bytes 1 629300)
 (vectors 16 16571)
 (vector-slots 8 333592 20388)
 (floats 8 30 52)
 (intervals 56 245 0)
 (buffers 984 10))