Subject: bug#62484: Join INSTALL and INSTALL.REPO

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 13:40:20 +0000

Hello,

IMHO it is unusual that a build system depends on if I use a tarball or 
a git repo. Never seen this before. No matter that there might be good 
technical reason to this it should be adopted to the "usual" users.

A user does look into a README first, finds no build infos and then 
looks for a BUILD file. Can't find one and tries INSTALL (which is not 
intended to have build infos because build and install are different 
things). User (me) found an INSTALL and stuck to it. 
configure-make-system is usual and known. No need to read all the docs 
from the beginning (where the link is to the exception INSTALL.REPO). So 
I just started at "2." and it failed because I used a git repo instead 
of a tarball.

You see.

IMHO it would improve the things if you would join INSTALL and 
INSTALL.REPO back together and also put a TOC on top of it.

I assume there is technically no way to remove the difference between 
tarball-build and git-build, right?

Kind
Christian

Related to:
[email-masked]
[email-masked]