Subject: Re: bug#62481: Unable to build master

From: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 09:43:14 -0500

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 3:42 AM Juan Miguel Carceller
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I pulled today from the github mirror from master and now emacs doesn't build, even after a clean build. This is what I get:
[...]
> ./configure --without-sound --with-json --with-tree-sitter --without-gpm --without-selinux --with-native-compilation=aot --with-x  CFLAGS='-O3 -march=native -mtune=native' --without-mailutils
[...]
> My system is Arch Linux with everything up to date, gcc 12.2.1 and libgccjit 12.2.1. I don't know if I'm doing anything as it doesn't seem there have been recent changes and I have been able to build it a few weeks ago.

I doubt it makes a difference regarding the problem you are reporting,
but, In case it helps, I believe we need to pass a flag to make to get
ahead-of-time native elisp compilation.
I mention because, above, you use "--with-native-compilation=aot" and
I wanted to make sure you (other readers) are aware that configure's
--with-native-compilation doesn't take any arg.

In any case, FWIW, I was able to build the current master under
Windows/MINGW64 just now.  (So maybe this problem is specific to your
platform or doesn't affect windows or has been fixed or -rather
unlikely, I think- has something to do with the NC/AOT stuff I
mentioned.)

In any event, here's what worked for me, just now:

(export SLUG=30-$(git rev-parse --short HEAD); (./autogen.sh &&
./configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation
--without-compress-install --with-tree-sitter CFLAGS=-O2 && make
install -j 20 NATIVE_FULL_AOT=1
prefix=/d/emacs-build/install/emacs-${SLUG}) | tee
/d/emacs-build/install/emacs-${SLUG}.log)