Subject: Re: bug#62480: Missing "configure"

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 13:22:22 +0000

>
> it seems that there is no "configure" script in the git repo but it is 
> pointed to from the INSTALL file.
>
> The INSTALL file does point to "./configure" script in bullet "2a". But 
> there isn't such a script.
>
> I cloned from git
>
>    git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs.git
>
> No "configure" in the master. I also tried "git checkout emacs-29". No 
> "configure" there also.
>

Thanks for your bug report.

The instructions to build Emacs from a clone of the repository are in 
INSTALL.REPO, not in INSTALL.  This is explained in the second paragraph 
of the INSTALL file:

For information about building from a Git checkout (rather than an Emacs 
release), read the INSTALL.REPO file first.

The main difference is that you should do "./autogen.sh" before 
"./configure".

Closing.