Subject: bug#6246: 24.0.50; Circular dependencies in lib-src/Makefile.in

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 03:54:57 -0400

Building Emacs outside of the source tree triggers the following
warnings from Make:

  make[2]: Circular /home/e/eliz/bzr/emacs/trunk/lib-src/rcs2log <- /home/e/eliz/bzr/emacs/trunk/lib-src/rcs2log dependency dropped.
  make[2]: Circular /home/e/eliz/bzr/emacs/trunk/lib-src/vcdiff <- /home/e/eliz/bzr/emacs/trunk/lib-src/vcdiff dependency dropped.
  make[2]: Circular /home/e/eliz/bzr/emacs/trunk/lib-src/rcs-checkin <- /home/e/eliz/bzr/emacs/trunk/lib-src/rcs-checkin dependency dropped.
  make[2]: Circular /home/e/eliz/bzr/emacs/trunk/lib-src/grep-changelog <- /home/e/eliz/bzr/emacs/trunk/lib-src/grep-changelog dependency dropped.

I think the problem is that we have both VPATH and an explicit
dependency for these files in lib-src/Makefile.in.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9)
 of 2010-05-22 on fencepost
configured using `configure  '--with-jpeg=no' '--with-png=no' '--with-gif=no' '--with-tiff=no''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
ESC [ > 0 ; 1 3 6 ; 0 c C-x C-f b u TAB t r TAB DEL 
y TAB RET C-s c i r c u C-a C-@ ESC O B ESC O B ESC 
O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC w C-x 
b RET ESC x r e p o r t - e m TAB RET

Recent messages:
("./build/src/emacs")
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading vc-bzr...done
Mark saved where search started
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr message sendmail regexp-opt rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils
gmm-utils mailheader emacsbug multi-isearch vc-bzr sha1 hex-util tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dynamic-setting font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)