Subject: Re: bug#62427: tab-bar-new-tab-to now handles cases with multiple side-windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 07:19:12 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 21:14:24 +0200
> 
> > I've noticed that when I call #'tab-bar-new-tab while I'm in a
> > side-window that has siblings, I get an error from
> > #'window--sides-check, which happens when #'tab-bar-new-tab calls
> > #'delete-other-windows. Here's an example of my problem:
> > ...
> > The attached patch fixes this issue. Could it be applied to the emacs-29
> > branch?
> 
> Thanks.  Unless Eli has objections, I'd like to push the patch
> to the emacs-29 branch since it correctly fixes the problem.

I'd like first to understand better the code involved and the
suggested change in it.  Just reading the code of tab-bar-new-tab-to,
it looks strange.  Why does tab-bar.el care about "window parameters
that can cause problems with 'delete-other-windows' and
'split-window'" to begin with?  And why removing these parameters from
windows is TRT for tab-bar.el to resolve such problems, when it
doesn't really "own" those windows?

(Also, the patch's commit log message is not according to our
conventions, but that's a minor issue.)