Subject: bug#62420: 29.0.60; fns-tests-collate-strings fails on Cygwin

From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 12:47:55 -0400

On 3/25/2023 11:49 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 11:14:57 -0400
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
>>
>>> What's the value of operating-system-release return in a Cygwin build?
>>
>> Perfect!  It's "3.4.6-1.x86_64".  I should be able to use that.
>> Interestingly, that variable was made obsolete a couple years ago in
>> commit d88e12aa19c4.
> 
> We can un-obsolete it if Cygwin asks nicely ;-)

Thanks, but that's unnecessary.  It turns out that the test succeeds on 
the currently released Cygwin.  The bug that caused it to fail was 
introduced in the development sources for 3.5 and is now fixed there. 
So there's no known Cygwin release in which it fails.

But I'm glad to know about operating-system-release anyway.  Maybe it 
will be useful some other time.

Ken