Subject: Re: bug#6241: Please make buffer-offer-save permanent local

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 12:39:40 +0200

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 6:48 AM, MON KEY <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Lennart Borgman
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> Please explain more exactly in what situations and why you think they
>> want to kill `buffer-offer-save'. If you do that we can fix such
>> cases. I can't think of any myself at the moment.
>>
>
> This is wrong. It is your request, you should be explaining on
> emacs-devel the exact
> reason, rationale and use case intended for why this change is needed.
>
>> Same question as above. Exactly when and why?
>
> Indeed.
> What are the specific situations this change will remedy.
> What is the current practice for dealing with them.
> What is lost if the proposed change doesn't occur.

Of course.

However I think I have explained this. Here it is again:

1) The reason for the proposed change is that people should not loose
their changes to non-file buffer that they have said they might want
to save.

2) Currently if a user has set buffer-offer-save to t for this it is
lost if the buffer major mode for some reason is changed.

3) User data is lost.

4) There might be cases where some "smart" code actually delete the
buffer local value buffer-offer-save by intention implicitly by
switching major mode. Doing this implicitly hides the purpose and is
therefore easily broken and misunderstood since major modes is
normally not at all connected with whether the buffer content should
be saved or not. Rather these two things are more orthogonal.

Could you please explain to me your reason for asking the above
questions after all I have already written before about this? Have I
been to unclear so that you did not understand? Or do you think
something is missing?

> These are the things you should be asking in a more public forum.
>
> --
> /s_P\
>