Subject: [bug#62394] [PATCH] make more packages tunable

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2023 10:19:33 +0200

Hi,

"Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <[email-masked]> skribis:

> From 4e498d911ee7948bb82bbdb3c58552c67bbc3832 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Arne Babenhauserheide <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 12:57:15 +0100
> Subject: [PATCH] gnu: make more packages tunable
>
> * gnu/packages/compression.scm (zlib)[properties]: add tunable?.
> * gnu/packages/geo.scm (gdal)[properties]: add tunable?.
> * gnu/packages/java.scm (openjdk19, openjdk14)[properties]: add tunable?.
> * gnu/packages/maths.scm (hdf5-1.8, netcdf)[properties]: add tunable?.
> * gnu/packages/protobuf.scm (protobuf)[properties]: add tunable?.
>
> advantages of Clear Linux over Ubuntu seen + perf:
> https://www.phoronix.com/review/zen4-clear-linux/2

I’m reluctant to marking things like Chromium or OpenJDK as tunable
because they take ages to build: it’s more work for ci.guix (which
builds a few tuned variants of each tunable package), and possibly leads
to local recompilations for users when substitutes for their
micro-architecture are unavailable.

It’s also not immediately obvious to me why these two packages as well
as zlib would benefit from micro-architecture-specific optimizations.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.