Subject: [PATCH 00/12] gnu: synapse: Update to 1.67.0

From: conses <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 18:29:46 +0100

Hi,

This patch series updates Synapse to the latest version where no Rust
tooling is needed, as per
<https://github.com/matrix-org/synapse/releases/tag/v1.67.0>.  I tried
packaging version 1.68.0 onward but it requires a ton of transitive Rust
library dependencies, as in the case of python-cryptography-next, and
there are a lot of version mismatches with existing ones.  I propose to
update to a later version once a better way of dealing with Rust
dependencies is found.  Moreover, build times on those versions are
significantly increased, taking well over an hour in my machine.  All in
all, this makes it really difficult to troubleshoot any packaging errors
so I hope for an easier time in future versions.

Tests were also removed since they depend on libraries that are
considered optional (causing build times to be increased too), and
they currently fail because some of the ones that test Twisted
functionality require network access.

Apart from that, this basically updates a few of its dependencies, and
moves some of them to use python-cryptography-next.

I think more emphasis should be put on updating this package more
frequently (e.g. <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/56373>), since Matrix is a
widely used communication platform, and the fact that there hasn't been
an update for more than 2 years while Nix is on the latest version
doesn't look good for Guix and its adoption.

conses (12):
  gnu: Add python-matrix-common.
  gnu: python-twisted: Update to 22.10.0.
  gnu: python-pyopenssl: Move to python-cryptography-next.
  gnu: python-urllib3: Move to python-cryptography-next.
  gnu: python-treq: Update to 20.9.0.
  gnu: python-josepy: Move to python-cryptography-next.
  gnu: python-secretstorage: Move to python-cryptography-next.
  gnu: python-acme: Move to python-cryptography-next.
  gnu: python-pysaml2: Move to python-cryptography-next.
  gnu: python-incremental: Update to 21.3.0.
  gnu: Add python-txredisapi.
  gnu: synapse: Update to 1.67.0.

 gnu/packages/matrix.scm        | 22 ++++++--
 gnu/packages/python-crypto.scm |  6 +--
 gnu/packages/python-web.scm    |  6 +--
 gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm    | 97 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------
 gnu/packages/tls.scm           |  2 +-
 5 files changed, 106 insertions(+), 27 deletions(-)

-- 
2.39.1

-- 
Best regards,
conses