Subject: bug#62376: 30.0.50; global-display-fill-column-indicator-modes broken?

From: Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 13:03:13 +0100

Howdy smart folks!

So, today I customized the

> global-display-fill-column-indicator-modes

variable, and it does not work.

I set the variable as per

> Its value is ((not special-mode java-mode swift-mode kotlin-mode) t)
> 
> Original value was
> ((not special-mode)
>  t)

but the fill column indicator shows up in the not-modes listed.

I have also noticed that the help window says

> global-display-fill-column-indicator-modes is a variable defined in
> ‘display-fill-column-indicator.el’.

but the variable is not defined in that source file.

Upon a quick `git grep', it seems that

- NO TESTS for this functionality EXIST, and
- NO SOURCE file in the repository USES the variable.

P.S. The variable is defined only in `ldefs-boot', not
`display-fill-column-indicator'.

Rudy

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin22.3.0, NS
 appkit-2299.40 Version 13.2.1 (Build 22D68)) of 2023-03-22 built on
 Rudolfs-MacBook-Air.local
Repository revision: 5056b8e589753698ce7ee935980ca03de0e41bf5
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2299
System Description:  macOS 13.2.1

Configured using:
 'configure --with-json --with-rsvg'

Configured features:
ACL GLIB GNUTLS JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Magit

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  corfu-history-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  global-hi-lock-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  global-hl-todo-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-goto-address-mode: t
  goto-address-mode: t
  global-subword-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  global-display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/salutis/.emacs.d/elpa/modus-themes-20230320.449/theme-loaddefs hides /Users/salutis/src/emacs/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/theme-loaddefs
/Users/salutis/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230315.1520/transient hides /Users/salutis/src/emacs/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow notmuch notmuch-tree notmuch-jump notmuch-hello notmuch-show
notmuch-print notmuch-crypto notmuch-mua notmuch-message notmuch-draft
notmuch-maildir-fcc notmuch-address notmuch-company notmuch-parser
notmuch-wash coolj icalendar diary-lib diary-loaddefs notmuch-tag
notmuch-lib notmuch-version notmuch-compat mm-view mml-smime smime
gnutls dig tempo mail-extr emacsbug tabify cl-print pulse color files-x
grep dired-aux vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs dired-x
diff-hl-dired shortdoc mode-local vc-git misearch multi-isearch
face-remap magit-extras magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff git-commit log-edit message
yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader add-log magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor server magit-mode transient
magit-git magit-base magit-section crm dash char-fold hl-line
network-stream puny nsm emms-player-mpd emms-url tq emms-player-simple
emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-volume
emms-volume-sndioctl emms-volume-mixerctl emms-volume-pulse
emms-volume-amixer emms-playlist-mode emms-source-playlist
emms-source-file locate ls-lisp dired dired-loaddefs emms-cache
emms-info emms-later-do emms emms-compat paredit edmacro kmacro
corfu-history corfu vertico hi-lock hl-todo compat diff-hl log-view
pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher diff-mode cus-start orderless
pdf-loader finder-inf ob-sqlite ob-sql ob-lisp ob-scheme geiser-impl
help-fns radix-tree geiser-custom geiser-base geiser savehist ob-R
ob-plantuml ob-org org-clock modus-operandi-theme modus-themes
ob-makefile ob-lua ob-latex ob-java ob-dot slime apropos etags fileloop
generator xref arc-mode archive-mode hyperspec flyspell ispell fortune
flymake-proc flymake project compile text-property-search pixel-scroll
cua-base time comp derived comp-cstr warnings cl-extra help-mode delsel
goto-addr thingatpt cap-words superword subword saveplace easy-mmode
display-fill-column-indicator disp-table whitespace display-line-numbers
autorevert filenotify ob-clojure cus-edit pp cus-load wid-edit ob-C
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs bug-reference ob-shell shell org ob ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring org-list org-footnote
org-faces org-entities time-date noutline outline icons ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol rx org-fold org-fold-core
org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
org-version org-compat org-macs format-spec sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils org-drill-autoloads
bbdb-autoloads paredit-autoloads lua-mode-autoloads htmlize-autoloads
yaml-mode-autoloads graphviz-dot-mode-autoloads kotlin-mode-autoloads
corfu-autoloads orderless-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase
magit-section-autoloads geiser-guile-autoloads geiser-autoloads
git-commit-autoloads fennel-mode-autoloads cape-autoloads
cider-autoloads spinner-autoloads flymake-grammarly-autoloads
grammarly-autoloads citar-autoloads citeproc-autoloads queue-autoloads
f-autoloads dash-autoloads parsebib-autoloads bnf-mode-autoloads
emms-autoloads websocket-autoloads rainbow-mode-autoloads
clojure-mode-autoloads vertico-autoloads request-autoloads
telega-autoloads rainbow-identifiers-autoloads sql-indent-autoloads
parseedn-autoloads modus-themes-autoloads string-inflection-autoloads
hl-todo-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads transient-autoloads
sesman-autoloads visual-fill-column-autoloads tablist-autoloads
mentor-autoloads async-autoloads xml-rpc-autoloads ebnf-mode-autoloads
url-scgi-autoloads elfeed-tube-mpv-autoloads mpv-autoloads
elfeed-tube-autoloads aio-autoloads elfeed-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads slime-autoloads macrostep-autoloads
parseclj-autoloads persist-autoloads chess-autoloads diff-hl-autoloads
sqlup-mode-autoloads ess-autoloads password-store-autoloads
with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads s-autoloads
swift-mode-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1056155 112543)
 (symbols 48 41559 29)
 (strings 32 259454 17283)
 (string-bytes 1 7465899)
 (vectors 16 79633)
 (vector-slots 8 998299 124451)
 (floats 8 412 1895)
 (intervals 56 29667 6291)
 (buffers 984 32))

-- 
"The whole science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday
thinking."
-- Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Rudolf Adamkovič <[email-masked]> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia