Subject: Re: bug#62355: 30.0.50; C-g doesn't always quit minibuffer on first press

From: Toon Claes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 16:32:28 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> The "[Quit]" part, and the fact that you need to type C-g twice _is_
> the intended behavior -- in the situation that I described earlier,
> i.e. if the minibuffer was activated by another command.

This was a very good clue to point me in the direction of the root
cause. It seems the issue is: my keyboard.

I can reproduce easily by typing M-x C-g on my external keyboard, but I
have *not* been able to reproduce with my built-in laptop keyboard. When
I create the issue with my external keyboard, I can even "repair" it by
pressing C-g on my built-in keyboard.

(FYI I use that keyboard on both computers, that's why I've been seeing
the issue on both. It's a keyboard running QMK firmware.)

Now the only question remains: what is the keyboard sending to make
Emacs hiccup? Is there an easy way to make Emacs display this? I've been
testing with `wev`, but I don't see any suspicious keycodes being sent.

Thanks for helping me debug here. Sorry for the noise, thinking the
issue lays in Emacs, but I didn't know how where else to go.

--
Toon