Subject: Re: bug#6234: 23.2; inhibit-startup-screen does not work in site-start.el

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 15:02:25 -0400

Stefan Vollmar <[email-masked]> writes:

> I believe, I might be observing a deliberate behaviour of Emacs 23.2
> rather than a bug. We have a specific setting where we want to create
> a ready-to-run distribution of Emacs. We have succeeded in putting all
> required customizations in site-start.el und are very happy with this
> - except that it would be helpful if inhibit-startup-screen also
> worked if set to t in site-start.el, it appears that this only works
> in a user-specific .emacs file.

Yes, inhibit-startup-screen does not take effect if it is set in
site-start.el.

> We tried to use initial-buffer-choice but this has an unwanted side
> effet: the splashscreen no longer appears, however, dropping a file on
> the Emacs icon no longer opens that file.

I can not reproduce this.  Can you provide a simple reproducible test
case?  I tried with a .emacs file containing only the line

  (setq initial-buffer-choice t)

and dragging a file into the Emacs window (I don't know what you mean by
"dropping a file on the Emacs icon") opens that file, as expected.
However, this is on GNU/Linux.  It's possible that there is a bug in the
Windows port; maybe someone else can check.