Subject: Re: bug#62333: 30.0.50; Issue with tree-sitter syntax tree during certain changes

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 15:44:18 +0200

On 25/03/2023 15:14, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 15:00:24 +0200
>> Cc:[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked]
>> From: Dmitry Gutov<[email-masked]>
>>
>> On 25/03/2023 14:34, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> Is there any real reason blink-matching-open narrows the buffer?  If
>>> we could remove that narrowing, the problem with the parser's taking
>>> notice of it would be gone.
>> Performance: to avoid scanning for the matching paren too far in the buffer.
> If that's the only reason, then tree-sitter based modes could widen
> back in their sexp-moving functions, since they use the parse data for
> this, right?

Not necessarily: it doesn't know the purpose for which the narrowing was 
applied. Could be for a mixed-major-mode thing, or some other purpose. 
Long lines?

Do we recall the exact design idea why tree-sitter visibility is limited 
by the narrowing bounds? Because if we wanted to widen in all similar 
situations, we might as well make it not obey the narrowing at all.