Subject: bug#62333: 30.0.50; Issue with tree-sitter syntax tree during certain changes

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 22:08:10 +0000

>>>> The parsers _can_ have access to those ranges, if they need it for 
>>>> some reason.  In general, everything in Emacs should honor the 
>>>> current restriction, unless there's a good reason to ignore it.
>>> 
>>> Okay, so in the above example by default the parsers will only have 
>>> access to 1000-1100 for the first one, and 1100-1200 for the second 
>>> one until the user removes the restrictions.  Unless they need to 
>>> widen the buffer for some (good) reason.
>>> 
>>> If they do widen, will the parsers get access to [400..1100] and 
>>> [1100..1500], or to the whole buffer?
>> 
>> The former.
>
> Okay, thanks.  Now I think I understand what you want.  I'll think about 
> it.
>

Two other questions:

Should there exist a mechanism to give the parsers access to the whole 
buffer (IOW, to let them ignore both the bounds passed to 
'treesit-make-parser' and the restriction set by the user)?

And of course, the bounds given to 'treesit-make-parser' should become 
markers, right, that is, their position should change whenever the buffer 
contents change, right?