Subject: bug#62329: closed (Re: bug#62329: 30.0.50; Error in TRAMP due to variable aliasing)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 20:27:01 +0000

Your bug report

#62329: 30.0.50; Error in TRAMP due to variable aliasing

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
62329: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=62329
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#62329: 30.0.50; Error in TRAMP due to variable aliasing
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 21:26:31 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 30.1

Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Eshel,

>> In my local environment, I have inverted the definition of the variable
>> alias. This seems to solve the bug.
>>
>> Could you pls try this patch?
>
> Yes, with this patch I don't get that error anymore, seems to work fine :)

Thanks for the feedback, I've pushed the patch to master. Closing the
bug.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 30.0.50; Error in TRAMP due to variable aliasing
From: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 14:00:23 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The recent rename of tramp-use-ssh-controlmaster-options in commit
1c39347d585 seems to cause some problems, namely Emacs now fails with an
error when trying to load tramp-sh (which happens automatically in some
TRAMP flows) if tramp is already loaded and compilation-mode-hook ran.
To reproduce:

1. emacs -Q
2. (require 'tramp)
   This further requires tramp-integration which adds a function
   called tramp-compile-disable-ssh-controlmaster-options to
   compilation-mode-hook
3. Do something that runs compilation-mode-hook, e.g. M-x compile with
   some dummy compilation command like "true".
4. Try to load tramp-sh with e.g. (require 'tramp-sh)
   Emacs fails with an error saying:
   "Don’t know how to make a buffer-local variable an alias:
   tramp-use-connection-share".
   AFAIU This happens because at this point tramp-use-connection-share is
   already a localized symbol and tramp-sh tries to call defvaralias on it.

Thanks,
Eshel

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 25, x86_64-apple-darwin22.3.0, NS
 appkit-2299.40 Version 13.2.1 (Build 22D68)) of 2023-03-21 built on
 esmac.local
Repository revision: 42fba8f36b19536964d6deb6a34f3fd1c02b43dd
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2299
System Description:  macOS 13.2.1

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation --with-json --with-tree-sitter'

Configured features:
ACL DBUS GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-fns radix-tree cl-print debug backtrace
find-func compile text-property-search tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec
auth-source eieio eieio-core cl-loaddefs comp comp-cstr warnings icons
rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra help-mode cl-lib password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 120777 8827)
 (symbols 48 9991 0)
 (strings 32 30989 2026)
 (string-bytes 1 1006709)
 (vectors 16 22054)
 (vector-slots 8 390621 12591)
 (floats 8 47 25)
 (intervals 56 395 0)
 (buffers 984 13))