Subject: 30.0.50; Thoughts about (info "(emacs) Bugs")

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 06:23:42 +0100

Hello,

I have some small suggestions to make (info "(emacs) Bugs") even more
complete.

The first I want to say is that, while we are telling a lot of
(technical) details, we are missing a bit to tell what creating a bug
report means practically, how it works in general.  I mean simple things
like these that are trivial for us but still not clear to everybody:

  Basically everything works by using Email.  As the author of the bug
  report you'll be sent a CC copy of every message that belongs to that
  bug [it is important to let people know that e.g. a question of
  somebody is not necessarily addressed to the bug author].

  You can reply normally to any of those messages.  If you do so please
  be sure to keep the address that has been assigned to the bug (it
  looks like [email-masked]) in the list of recipients before
  sending your reply because else the bug tracker will not receive your
  message [lot's of people do this wrong!].

[...] parts are comments from me about the text, not part of the text.

Then I wonder if we could say that it is helpful when the author loads
relevant Elisp files before recording an Elisp backtrace [with a short
explanation of what "relevant" means, and how that can be achieved].

Hmm - I think that's already it for now.  You'll probably want to find a
better wording.

TIA,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 27, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version
 1.16.0) of 2023-03-20 built on drachen
Repository revision: aa54a24570e526b5438264caacf405a2370ba9d3
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)