Subject: Re: bug#62320: 30.0.50; Thoughts about (info "(emacs) Bugs")

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2023 13:02:25 +0300

> From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 18:08:08 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > > You also have worked in all my suggestions - apart from the "if you
> > > know how please load relevant Elisp source files before capturing an
> > > Elisp backtrace" one - intentionally?
> >
> > Maybe not.  Can you tell to which part of the text this was related?
> 
> That would be in (info "(emacs) Checklist") - the first item after "If
> you are willing to debug Emacs and provide additional information about
> the bug, here is some useful advice".

I remember debating whether it was important enough to have in this
already very long node.  But since now that part is near the end, as a
kind of "Advanced" section, I added that back.

> And apart from mentioning loading related Elisp source files, I want to
> say that mentioning Edebug in this first paragraph:
> 
>      This causes the error to start the Lisp debugger, which shows you a
>      backtrace.  Copy the text of the debugger’s backtrace into the bug
>      report.  *Note Edebug: (elisp)Edebug, for information on debugging
>      Emacs Lisp programs with the Edebug package.
> 
> is a bit unfortunate - we should either say that this is a different
> debugger, not to be confused with the one that pops up when enabling
> `debug-on-error', or just mention Edebug at a different place (in a
> footnote maybe?).

I tried to make it more clear that this is a different debugger.