Subject: bug#6232: Suggestion for isearch: in backward search yank to front of search string

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 20:31:12 +0200

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> 2) Using the same keybindings make them easy to remember.
>>
>> 3) It does seem rather logical that the yanking is done at the other
>> end when search direction is reversed.
>
> It would be totally confusing behaviour.  Normal characters are always
> added at the end, so yanking should always behave the same.

I can see your point, but my gut feeling is perhaps not the same.

Also consider the 4th point I made:

> 4) Maybe more important: The marker in isearch that shows the
> direction will be at the position where the yanking is done. Or at
> least nearly. So the semantics is in a sense the same since yanking is
> done forward from that marker.

I any case I think it is important that the key sequences for adding
at the beginning and end of the search string are similar. There are 4
yank commands in isearch for adding at the end. How about adding shift
to these to add at the beginning?