Subject: Re: bug#62296: eshell: sudo results in "Don’tknow how to make a buffer-local variable an alias: tramp-use-connection-share"

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 16:13:16 +0100

Chris Elrod <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Chris,

> To expand on my earlier report, I am using the `eshell-tramp` module.
>
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 9:48 AM Chris Elrod <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>     I just rebuilt the latest emacs master, and found that I can no
>     longer use sudo in eshell.
>     I get the error message:
>     Don’t know how to make a buffer-local variable an alias:
>     tramp-use-connection-share
>
>     This variable was recently introduced:
>     https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs/commit/1c39347d58533280bae74c712ad0016a5c8992aa

I tried to reproduce, but I cannot. Both versions of sudo in eshell work for me:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Welcome to the Emacs shell

~/src/emacs $ sudo ls
[sudo] password for albinus: 
aclocal.m4	ChangeLog.1    configure~    INSTALL	   make-dist	README
admin		ChangeLog.2    configure.ac  INSTALL.REPO  Makefile	src
autogen.sh	ChangeLog.3    CONTRIBUTE    leim	   Makefile.in	test
autom4te.cache	config.bat     COPYING	     lib	   modules
BUGS		config.log     doc	     lib-src	   msdos
build-aux	config.log~    etc	     lisp	   nextstep
ChangeLog	config.status  GNUmakefile   lwlib	   nt
ChangeLog~	configure      info	     m4		   oldXMenu
~/src/emacs $ cd /sudo::
/sudo:root@gandalf:~ # ls
123  anaconda-ks.cfg  tmp
/sudo:root@gandalf:~ #
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Could you pls provide a recipe, starting with "emacs -Q"?

Best regards, Michael.