Subject: Re: bug#62296: eshell: sudo results in "Don’t know how to make a buffer-local variable an alias: tramp-use-connection-share"

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 21:28:05 -0700

On 3/20/2023 8:13 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:
> I tried to reproduce, but I cannot. Both versions of sudo in eshell work for me:
[snip]
> 
> Could you pls provide a recipe, starting with "emacs -Q"?

I'm not able to reproduce this either, but here's what I tried from 
"emacs -Q":

   M-: (require 'eshell)
   M-: (add-to-list 'eshell-modules-list 'eshell-tramp)
   M-x eshell

   ~ $ which sudo
   eshell/sudo is a byte-compiled Lisp function in ‘em-tramp.el’.
   ~ $ sudo *whoami
   root

Chris, you could try running "make bootstrap", or at least "rm 
lisp/eshell/*.elc && make" to make sure that the Eshell code gets 
recompiled. Eshell makes pretty heavy use of defmacro and defsubst, so 
sometimes the bytecode files end up out of date and you need to get rid 
of them.