Subject: Re: bug#62294: gnupg is pinned at 2.2.32 for bug that is fixed upstream

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2023 19:31:47 +0200

Hi Leo,

On Tue, 04 Apr 2023 at 12:23, Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Well, graft does not seem recommended because it would update to two
>> versions.  And update the package would be a core-updates.
>> 
>> Well, maybe it could be of the current core-updates dance.  Could you
>> send a patch for core-updates?
>
> GnuPG does have a large number of dependent packages, but I'd argue
> that's either 1) a bug or 2) something we should ignore and update
> freely. It's a critical package, and did not used to have such a large
> number of dependents. It's really a problem for the distro if we don't
> allow ourselves to update packages like this freely.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, I get:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix refresh -l gnupg | cut -f1 -d':'
Building the following 1491 packages would ensure 2880 dependent packages are rebuilt
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

So the impact is ~10% of all the packages.  From a quick look, some
packages are intensive to rebuild, to my knowledge.

Are you proposing to graft?

Cheers,
simon