Subject: [bug#62274] [PATCH] home: 'home-environment-with-provenance' uses the HE location info.

From: Sergey Trofimov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 13:22:14 +0100

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Tropin <[email-masked]> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> On 2023-03-20 20:03, Sergey Trofimov wrote:
>
>>
>> You're right, the new signature is not used anywhere yet. 
>> Though
>> I'm working on a patch to embed home profiles in disk images
>> produced with `guix system image`. That's where this method 
>> comes
>> handy, see example usage:
>>
>
> Also, take a look at this thread:
> https://yhetil.org/[email-masked]
>
> and this prototype:
> https://git.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde/tree/044de83e980b7038b87d27a090aef24229df85eb/src/gnu/services/home.scm#L1
>
> It can be related to what you want to achieve, whithout 
> modifying
> image-related code.

Brilliant! That's it. It didn't come to me that `home-environment` 
could be a dependency of `operating-system` and not of the image 
itself. And you also made the service to activate it, so no manual 
step is required. That's exactly what I have envisioned. What 
prevents you to mainline it? It seems you have already 
battle-tested it.

The only concern is that I'd rather include 
`guix-home-service-type` only in the first generation of the 
system. I think that this tie between user envs and the operating 
system makes sense only on the first boot. Later on the users 
should be responsible (and able to) to maintain their environments 
independently.