Subject: bug#62260: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Restrict auto-save file mode

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 08:34:08 +0100

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Hi Michael,
>
> Hi Manuel,
>
>> What do you think of the attached patch?
>
> Honestly, I haven't had enough time to review it in detail. My gut
> feeling tells me that it looks to complicate and too much hard-coded,
> but I will need to review. I hope I could do it next days.

Hi Michael,

Ok, I understand that.  My patch is a bit hard-coded you're right but I
think it will reduce false positive triggering the user prompt about
unsafe auto-save.

[...]

> Please take into account, that tramp-allow-unsafe-temporary-files is not
> only for auto-save files. It is used also for backup and file locks. See
> functions tramp-handle-find-backup-file-name, tramp-handle-lock-file and
> tramp-handle-make-auto-save-file-name.

Ok so it might not be possible to have this three state
'tramp-allow-unsafe-temporary-files' I propose.

> For the time being, I have added the possibility to suppress auto-save
> for remote files. The Tramp manual says now:

Thanks.  That looks great.  IIUC, with this, one can disable only
auto-save (not locking nor backup) on a per connection basis.  I guess
that it could replace what I was proposing then.
-- 
Manuel Giraud