Subject: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Restrict auto-save file mode

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 16:18:07 +0100

Hi,

I'm surely missing something but wouldn't it be a good thing to tighten
auto-save files mode.  Mostly for remote or sudo files, this seems like
a better default.

>From 0039dd6b5076d3edd61b15f017c27d9424ad559e Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 16:10:44 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] Restrict auto-save file mode

* src/fileio.c (auto_save_1): Restrict auto-save file to user's
mode only.
---
 src/fileio.c | 8 ++++----
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/src/fileio.c b/src/fileio.c
index b80f8d61de4..73c7dc5e063 100644
--- a/src/fileio.c
+++ b/src/fileio.c
@@ -5905,20 +5905,20 @@ auto_save_1 (void)
   struct stat st;
   Lisp_Object modes;
 
-  auto_save_mode_bits = 0666;
+  auto_save_mode_bits = 0600;
 
-  /* Get visited file's mode to become the auto save file's mode.  */
+  /* Get visited file's user mode to become the auto save file's mode.  */
   if (! NILP (BVAR (current_buffer, filename)))
     {
       if (emacs_fstatat (AT_FDCWD, SSDATA (BVAR (current_buffer, filename)),
 			 &st, 0)
 	  == 0)
 	/* But make sure we can overwrite it later!  */
-	auto_save_mode_bits = (st.st_mode | 0600) & 0777;
+	auto_save_mode_bits = (st.st_mode | 0600) & 0700;
       else if (modes = Ffile_modes (BVAR (current_buffer, filename), Qnil),
 	       FIXNUMP (modes))
 	/* Remote files don't cooperate with fstatat.  */
-	auto_save_mode_bits = (XFIXNUM (modes) | 0600) & 0777;
+	auto_save_mode_bits = (XFIXNUM (modes) | 0600) & 0700;
     }
 
   return
-- 
2.39.2

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-openbsd7.3, cairo version
 1.17.8) of 2023-03-18 built on computer
Repository revision: 4234e204ec0e73211e0041d78460b2c51913a517
Repository branch: mgi/restrict-auto-save
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101006
System Description: OpenBSD computer 7.3 GENERIC.MP#1105 amd64

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/manuel/emacs --bindir=/home/manuel/bin
 --with-x-toolkit=no --without-sound --without-compress-install
 CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  gnus-dired-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-0.10.0/theme-loaddefs hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/theme-loaddefs
/home/manuel/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-0.3.7/transient hides /home/manuel/emacs/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr dabbrev emacsbug whitespace magit-patch
tramp-cmds pulse magit-extras face-remap magit-submodule magit-obsolete
magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull
magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence
magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch
magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit magit-repos
magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func magit-diff git-commit
log-edit add-log magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor magit-mode transient magit-git
magit-section magit-utils dash vc-bzr rfc2104 tramp-cache time-stamp
tramp-sh org-indent idlwave idlwave-help idlw-help emacs-news-mode view
vc-dir ewoc rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok pascal vc-cvs
vc-rcs log-view pcvs-util conf-mode css-mode sgml-mode facemenu imenu
vc-hg sh-script smie treesit executable smerge-mode diff oc-basic ol-eww
eww url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb
ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi mule-util paredit edmacro autorevert
filenotify vc-git diff-mode vc-svn vc vc-dispatcher bug-reference
gnus-dired time battery cus-load exwm-randr xcb-randr exwm-config ido
exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor
xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb
xcb-xproto xcb-types xcb-debug kmacro server modus-operandi-theme
modus-themes ytdious mingus libmpdee reporter edebug debug backtrace
transmission color calc-bin calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs
supercite regi ebdb-message ebdb-gnus gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku
url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
message sendmail yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util
mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit ebdb-mua ebdb-com crm
ebdb-format ebdb mailabbrev eieio-opt cl-extra help-mode speedbar
ezimage dframe eieio-base pcase timezone visual-basic-mode cl web-mode
derived disp-table erlang-start smart-tabs-mode skeleton cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs slime-asdf grep slime-tramp tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp
slime-fancy slime-indentation slime-cl-indent cl-indent
slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree advice slime-scratch slime-presentations
bridge slime-macrostep macrostep slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl slime-parse slime
apropos compile text-property-search etags fileloop xref project
arc-mode archive-mode pp hyperspec thingatpt slime-autoloads org-agenda
org-element org-persist xdg org-id avl-tree generator org-refile org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring org-list
org-footnote org-faces org-entities time-date noutline outline icons
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table org-keys oc
org-loaddefs find-func ol rx org-fold org-fold-core org-compat
org-version org-macs format-spec appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs dired-aux dired-x dired dired-loaddefs
notifications dbus xml repeat easy-mmode desktop frameset osm-autoloads
rust-mode-autoloads ebdb-autoloads compat-autoloads magit-autoloads
debbugs-autoloads git-commit-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
ef-themes-autoloads with-editor-autoloads paredit-autoloads
dash-autoloads ytdious-autoloads transmission-autoloads
transient-autoloads exwm-autoloads hyperbole-autoloads
detached-autoloads info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind kqueue lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo xinput2 x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 765135 152535)
 (symbols 48 60399 6)
 (strings 32 197023 9623)
 (string-bytes 1 6230759)
 (vectors 16 117472)
 (vector-slots 8 2355311 71951)
 (floats 8 566 318)
 (intervals 56 21464 629)
 (buffers 984 137))

-- 
Manuel Giraud